Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Is there a wv state or Federal law against verbal abuse/harassment

Customer Question

Is there a wv state or Federal law against verbal abuse/harassment in the workplace????
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
For starters, the US Supreme Court has been very clear that the laws on hostile work environments/harassment MUST be based upon unlawful discrimination (age/race/sex/disability) and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace (see: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore). Thus, unless you can prove that the abuse/harassment is based solely upon your age/race/sex/disability, there is no hostile environment/harassment claim. This is the same premise under state law in WV and all other states. There have been several states that have tried to pass laws outlawing workplace bullying, which could cover this type of conduct, but to date not one state has managed to pass such a law.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”