Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 28 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I have received a contingent job offer, based on whether or

I have received a contingent job offer, based on whether or not a contract is signed by a client. This is likely to take place one month in the future. Should I sign the job offer? What does signing the offer letter really mean?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

What the offer means is dependent on what the exact language of the offer letter is. If you have any doubts as to the meaning, or what might cancel or amend it, you should get clarification in writing from the company. Generally though, with a contingent job offer, the prospective employer is merely saying that if the contingencies are met, you have a job. Unless other conditions or duties are a part of the letter, it is pretty straight forward.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand what they're getting out of it. I don't understand what I'm getting out of it.

Since I'm currently unemployed, I need to keep looking for a job, in case theirs doesn't come through. What if I find a better job before theirs does come through -- am I obligated to work for them, since I signed the letter? If so, what does signing a contingent job offer letter really mean?
Hello again,

Those are the sorts of issues that I alluded to. Again, it depends on the exact language of the agreement. When you signed the agreement, was there language in it where you accept employment, or agree to stay available for employment at the exclusion of other job offers? Normally, when an offer is contingent, either party can back out until one of the parties has acted in reliance on a contract or given something of good value for it. In this case, assuming you have not specifically signed away your rights to look for other employment, you may continue to look and if you find something, then you simply write the employer and notify them that you have accepted another job. That acts to terminate the contingent job offer.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Attorney with 28 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked and it does not exclude me looking for another job. So I will accept the offer. Thanks for your help!
You're welcome and good luck to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I already paid via PayPal, but when I hit "accept", it tried to get me to pay again. I am happy with your answer, just waiting for customer support to explain why the program wants me to pay again. Thanks for your help.
The process can be a little confusing. The way it works is that you put down a deposit but unless you "Accept" it doesn't debit your money. From my screen, I only see one payment.