JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
14211116

Can a previous employer call your current employer to tell

Can a previous employer call your current employer to tell them that you were fired? Also, can that previous employer say that the employee is a crook, thief, and other judemental accusations?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Could you please describe how it is that your previous employer became your previous employer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am in sales, also was a manager, my weeks were very long & i had no time for family, so i started at a place where i had more flexible working hours. only to learn that the owner had very particular ways, that i was not used to. thats life you just have to keep going, so i did. i made him a lot of money, to the point that i guess he got greedy & decided to get rid of me and try to take my customers by calling them and telling them that i had committed crimes. non of which have been proved or brought any charges?? i am very confused on what to do?
For how long has your previous employer been doing this (accusing you to others of having committed crimes)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
since 9/21/09
Have you confronted the previous employer about it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, the V.P. actually told me that the owner and his wife shouldn't be saying such!
Have you confronted the individual who is saying that you committed crimes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. that is how the V.P. knew i had confronted them. i called to speak with the owner only having him to tell me "you know what you did", then he hung up on me. he was very professional...
Have you lost any jobs, work, etc. because of those comments? In other words, can you prove a financial loss?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, i was hired by a man who owned a business like the one i was working at, who had to let me go, because of them loosely telling more than needed to know about these things. he was afraid that they would some how accuse his business as well. so yes i have lost money, i'll never gain back atleast 20 customers that i had because of these things that have been said. One customer that i had just sold 130,000.00 worth of products to, he has 9 more appartments that need the same products, he was the first to be told such things.
Well, wrongfully accusing someone of criminal conduct is defamation per se and the person can be sued for it. The actions you describe can also be considered tortious interference with a business relationship or business expectancy. Your damages can be your job loss and/or lost work.

You can hire a local attorney to send him a nasty-gram cease and desist letter OR sue him for your damages. It's important that you document the who-what-when-where of events that occurred.

These are not always easy cases so don't be surprised if an attorney wants to charge you up front instead of taking the case on a contingency. It's not wise to just hire any attorney, you really want to take the time to find one who has actual experience handling such a lawsuit. You also want to make sure that you are comfortable in working with the attorney. Thus, do not be surprised if you find yourself interviewing a couple of attorneys before settling on one.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.