Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a union employee,I signed a job bid awarded by seniority.

Customer Question

I am a union employee,I signed a job bid awarded by seniority. I heard that the bid wasn't meant for me to sign and in signing it I was causing trouble. I didn't know what to think of it all until I received a call from the Supervisor/Unionstweard who had put this bid together to help a friend that was about to be demoted. He wanted toknow if I was going to accept the bid cause I have seniority.I told him I didn't know and asked him why he needed to know right then and he said by me accepting the job I would be hurting his friend and making him look bad as a Supervisor and Union Steward Since that talk, the bid was cancelled and he stepped down as Union Steward. This direct dealing is against Company and Union policy.This is unfair and discrimanatory towards me. I've spoke with a Company Supervisor and another Union Steward, both advised me to seek outside council . I don't know whom to turn to. Please advise.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

This is likely in violation of the employer's policies and your union agreement. Therefore, I would file a grievance. However, you may want to consult with a local labor attorney to assist you through this process since it appears the union may not be standing up to the employer. If they breach their duty of fair representation, you could sue the union as well as the employer as it sounds you should have gotten the bid.

You may also want to file a complaint with the NLRB for an unfair labor practice. Consulting with an attorney to discuss your options under all of the circumstances would be helpful. The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

TG

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my response does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much !
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. All the best to you!