Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

Travel time pay laws in Arizona when being required to travel

Travel time pay laws in Arizona when being required to travel from Tucson to Yuma. Not my normal job location (normally from Tucson to Nogales). Cmpany does not want to pay me my hourly rate for the time to travel to and from Yuma but will pay me for 8 hrs of work time? Total hours in a day is 16? Are they not required to pay me for 8 hrs + OT for the other 8 hrs of travel?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

They are obligated to pay you for travel time beyond your normal commute to work. However, they do not have to pay you your regular rate, but can pay as little as minimum wage for the travel time (state or federal, whichever is higher). You must be paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 hours per week, not 8 hours in a day.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

TG

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my response does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What about mileage expense for my personal vehicle that I am using to travel these distances?

So, they can work me 16 hour days as long as it is only for 3 days or does not exceed 40hrs a week?

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

Since it is your personal vehicle, employers often do reimburse mileage expenses, but they are not required to as long as they pay you for the travel time. Yes. The law does not require that overtime is paid until you have exceeded 40 hours per week.

Good luck to you.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.