Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

From what I understand, my unemployment is being challenged

Customer Question

From what I understand, my unemployment is being challenged because I made a mistake on the application.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for choosing JA.

Can you give us a little more information?

Who is challenging your unemployment?

What did the mistake on your application concern?

What state are you in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Former employer is challenging my unemployment.

In March of 2009 they reduced my hours so I applied and started collecting partial unemployment. Then in May 2009 I was fired from my job, so I started collecting full unemployment. From what I was told by the customer service person at unemployment, they are challenging it because, one of the questions that I answered online while transitioning from partial to full unemployment. I don't remember the exact question, but my answer "Lack of work" and my former employer stated that was I fired. While I don't remember the exact question, I misunderstood the question. I didn't know whether they wanted to know the reason why I first applied or the reason why I went from partial to full employment. Thinking back, I don't think the question was all that clear.

I am in the state of Pennsylvania

Now let me also explain that prior to this...I was collecting partial unemployment because they had reduced my hours.
Reenter your application each week and answer the question as "Terminated."

The reason that it matters (though likely may not here), is that termination for certain offenses can disqualify you for unemployment benefits. When you have been terminated, the unemployment insurance office has to determine the reason for the termination, to see if you still qualify.

Just tell them truthfully about the mistake in answering the question. As long as you were not terminated for one of the disqualifying reasons (absenteesim, deilberate misconduct, failure to follow enforced policies, theft, etc.) then you should be fine.