How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 38507
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a union employee with the culinary union 226, in las vegas

Resolved Question:

I am a union employee with the culinary union 226, in las vegas nevada. I was terminated from Wynn Las Vegas because of progressive discipline. I received three written warnings, and I filed a grievence with the union on the last two that I received, the third one was over a year ago and is now off my record. During the grievence process I met with human resources management, my union grievence specialist, my shop steward, and the management of the restaurant I work in. The two cases was heard, and it was determined that I was not at fault. So, I should have no disciplinary written warnings on my file, and should be working. However my employer still considers me terminated, and I am being stonewalled by the union as far as what steps they are taking in this matter. So, my question is, from a legal standpoint, what recourse do I have against the union, and Wynn Las Vegas?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If your termination does not comply with the grievance process agreed to in the Union's collective bargaining agreement with the employer, then you can sue the union for breach of implied covenant of good faith for failing to support your rights, and you can sue the employer for breach of contract for the termination itself.


However, you may find it easier to start with a complaint to the NLRB. You would have to show that your termination has clearly violated the union contract and that the union seems to be helping the employer, rather than you.


If they won't get involved, then you'll need an employment rights lawyer. See: and


Hope this helps.



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you