Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I have a question about termination in the state of texas.

Customer Question

I have a question about termination in the state of texas. For a sales rep who consistently met or exceeded quota, who was never put on plan or had any type of communication that there was any sort of issue with employment is terminated out of the blue one day. Is there any recourse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

you will need to check your employment handbook on policy and see what it says about an "at will" employee - this is generally the case. this means that an employer can fire you at anytime for cause or no cause.

the exception would be if you have signed a contract for a specified period of time

or if there is nothing in the handbook or it was never discussed that you can be fire at will - in otherwords, if your employer has something or there is something in the handbook and policies that infers as long as you do a good job and produce you will not be fired.

if that is the case, and you can prove that, then you should consult with a local attorney about a possible wrongful termination lawsuit.