Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am being written up at work and do not agree with everything

I am being written up at work and do not agree with everything in the write up. If I do not sign the paperwork I will get fired. What do I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The signing of a write up is not an admission of guilt and if you refuse to sign it, the employer can seek to terminate you for insubordination in refusing to sign. You are entitled to write on the form that you do not agree with the write up or what you do not agree with and that your signature is not an admission of guilt if the employer does not have that printed on the form. Your signature on the form is merely an acknowledgment of receiving the write up and you should make sure you put that on the form before signing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”