How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 31662
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work as an assistant manager at a grocery store. I am an

Resolved Question:

I work as an assistant manager at a grocery store. I am an assistant produce manager in a large produce department. I make 50,000 a year. It is a good job. I like my job. However, my boss, (the produce manager) is a real problem. He screams at me, swears at me. Told me i suck and i am horrible at my job and i am slow and degrades me and makes me feel horrible. my boss even said he always has to chooses someone to yell at and treat poorly no matter where he works and that person is me. today, i pulled off some bad green beans and he flipped on me and swore and snapped them in my face showing anger and the bean juices were hitting me in the face and eyes. I told him to stop and he told me to get the f**k out of the store and go home and screamed and yelled at me. The other assistant manager is older and my boss respects him and will not yell at him. he seems to be bi polar and manic depressant and his anger is very predictable on certain days. What should i do? I feel like i should calim harrassment. however i do not want to be transferred. i do not want to lose my job. i do not want this to prevent me for advancement in the future which i think will. also, can i get any compensation for the harrassment? If so how much?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
You need to make a formal complaint with your grocery store. You can also file a harassment complaint with your state's department of labor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I feel like it is going to prevent me from getting promoted in the future.

also, it might make me get transferred and i think thats a bad solution to the problem. That will be like pushing it under the rug.

Also, can i get compensated for the harrassment, or can i somehow get him fired?

Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

You can't be retaliated against because of reporting improper actions of a co-worker. Also, you can't be fired because of this - if you were, you can sue for wrongful termination.

You can sue for harassment and seek damages.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

last couple of questions before i accept.

How much is a normal compensation?

If they do not fire him can i do anything more to get him fired?

i am not getting written up for this but i would like to be compensated for the 2 hrs he sent me home for and also if there is a harrassment case :

Am i going to be but on paid leave or will i be transferred? or just continue to work as normal until it is taken care of?

I am guessing they will not let us work together still if i file harrassment?

Thanks for your help!

Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
Normal comensation ius based on the time lost and your rate. The amount can be 2 to 10 times that amount. The hearing officer will determine that.

You can't force the employer to fire him, but you can file complaints each time he does something to you.

You should just work as usual.

The employer will likely make you work separately.
Roger and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you