Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

What is the legal age for a child to work in the State of Alabama

What is the legal age for a child to work in the State of Alabama? At what types of jobs can a 15 year old boy work?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
During the months when public schools are in session, 14- and 15-year-olds may work:

• No more than three hours on a school day;

• No more than eight hours on a weekend day;

• No more than 18 hours a week;

• Not before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m.;

• Not during school hours.

During the summer months when public schools are not in session, 14- and 15-year-olds may work:

• No more than eight hours a day;

• No more than six days a week;

• No more than 40 hours a week;

• Not before 7 a.m. or after 9 p.m.

15 year olds can do the same work as 16 year olds with the exception of working around dangerous machinery. That term does not have a clear definition, but can include things as simple as a "broiler" in a fast food restaurant.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.