Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The employer can test for alcohol by breathalyzer if they have reason to believe the employee is intoxicated on alcohol. Other than that, WA law allows for testing of their employees for drugs as well.

Wash. Rev. Code §49.82.010

Private employers who want a discount on their workers' compensation premiums may test applicants if advance notice has been given and a job has been offered. Employees may be tested upon reasonable suspicion of drug abuse, following a workplace accident, or at random. Employer must post testing policy and must offer an employee-assistance program to employees who test positive before terminating them. Employers can terminate employees who have a second confirmed positive test or refuse to participate in the employee-assistance program. Employees have the right to explain or contest the results. Random testing is allowed. Results are confidential and cannot be used in a criminal proceeding.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”