Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Experience:  Worked with employment legal group in major national corp.

I need advice about the company I work for. They are showing

Customer Question

I need advice about the company I work for. They are showing partiality and favortism to certain employees and in some cases discrimination. I feel the management staff is using underhanded methods to keep certain people from moving up in the company. Is there anything that can be done?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 7 years ago.

What state is this in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
North Carolina

If a company has any policies which are required to be followed by a company (for example, many companies may have policies but they are up for "discretion" whether or not they are used sometimes) and the company violates those policies, then an employee may sue for a failure to abide by those policies if an employee feels that failure caused them a harm. If "favortism" or such treatment is not, however, discriminatory or against company policies then there may not be much that may be done as, unless the act is otherwise illegal (as when it causes OSHA violations or discrimination for example) then such behavior is not illegal normally.

Where dicrimination is involved, which includes the denial of opportunities, advancement, pay, benefits, and others things at work due to race, gender, age, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, (and a few others depending on state law) then employees may file complaints with or seek more information or an investigation from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (whose NC offices are listed here) or hire an attorney to help them prepare and file a suit against the employer and employees involved.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a team leader who has been banned from client offices for problems created by this person. Upper management decided to transfer her to another territory without posting postion available to ALL employees. I witnessed an empolyee get demoted for the same reasons and had to take a cut in pay as well. Phone calls not returned by upper management to certain employees. Employees blocked from speaking to upper management. When asking upper management about certain issues told" I didn't know anything about that" ,when they are part of the decision making team. Black employee given written warning for a name discrepancy, while others get no repramand for same error.

Based on that discription, the different treatment based on race, those who are involved may have a good case and should speak to an attorney to obtain assistance in pursuing claims and in helping them deal with the employer's actions.