Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

can an employer work someone over 7 days on a row in the same

Customer Question

can an employer work someone over 7 days on a row in the same wwk without overtime claiming it has to be FULL work days?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
In what state?
Is the employee a non exempt employee?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Non-exempt, 8-hour employee.

For example: workweek runs M-Sunday. Employee worked as follows;

M- F , 8.0 hours

Sat , 4.0 hours

Sun, 2.0 hours

The employer can increase the hours as you mentioned in your original question as long as you are paid for such time, overtime for overtime hours, and not singled out to work those hours because of your race, gender or age.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about the 7-day in a row rule?
An employer can require it but needs to compensate for the time. You should negotiate if possible if that schedule is not good for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was asking as a payroll professional. Your answer does not help me to argue payment of the 7-day rule for the employee.
I will see if another expert has further comment for you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Your previous expert has asked me to assist you. Under the CA labor code, no employer may require employees to work more than six days in seven. §552. Every employee entitled to one day’s rest in seven. §551 Days of rest may be accumulated through the month provided all rest days are given in the month. This law is applicable where collective bargaining agreement does not provide otherwise. §554

Also, the employer must pay overtime for all hours worked over 8 in a day and double time for hours worked over 12. Additionally, if the employer does not give you at least a 30 minute meal break in an 8 hour shift, they must pay your 1 hour extra pay.

which has all of the laws you can use against your employer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that was very helpful but i am wondering if you can answer this question with a "Yes" or "No" answer...

(employee is non-exempt, regular full time employee under no labor contract)

If an employee works 7 days in a row without a day off, does the employee have to pay that employee overtime REGARDLESS of how many hours were actually worked during said workweek.

YES, the employer has to pay an employee in CA overtime at time and 1/2 for all hours worked over 8 in a day or over 40 in a week and must pay 2 times for all hours over 12 in a day.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Im confused. I know the HOURLY overtime rules.

I need to know the 7th DAY rule and when an employer doesnt have to pay overtime for the 7TH DAY.

It is not confusing, if you work over 40 hours in a workweek, 7 days, then you get overtime for all hours over 40, this is in addition to the hourly rules, and it is under the Fair Labor Standards Act, which also applies in conjunction with the CA labor laws.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

if thats the case and all overtime is calculated on hours then why the 7th day rule? It was my understanding that the 7th day in a row rule had nothign to do with hours worked, it was a rest period based on DAYS worked. (prob stirred from the bibiograpy of 7th day being a day of rest.).

Forget the hour rules, Im asking about the 7th DAY-in -a-row rule.

The law I gave you says they are not supposed to work you without the 1 day off. HOWEVER, under the FLSA, if you do work the seventh day, even in violation of the CA law, then you must be paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 in that work week. These laws operate together.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience