Counselor, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Employment & Labor Law Attorney

I began a job 4 months ago in Oregon with an initial trial

I began a job 4 months ago in Oregon with an initial trial service period of 3 months. Though the personnel policies and procedures state "at the discretion of the Executive Director, the trial service period may be extended to 6 months, but shall not exceed six months", I am wondering about the legality of extending such a period without merit. I received my 90 day review at 3 months and 3.5 weeks. My work performance meets standards. I hear words like "excellent"; "good thinking" etc in regard to my work and approaches. My supervisor/director is autocratic and authoriatarian, even demeaning in her approach. I have communicated strongly to her concerning the effect this has on me. She extended by trial period at the 90 day review meeting listing some non descript reasons. I must choose between not getting benefits and remaining on trial or resigning. Can she do this? Do I have any recourse?

I don't know if you're "sunk," but you really don't have much of a case. Your employer has every right to extend your "trial period" for any reason she wants -- even for no reason at all. There's also no law that requires your employer to be nice to you, rather than "autocratic" and "demeaning."

Unfortunately, in your situation, if your job is not worth putting up with your supervisor's authoritarian style, then you probably should be leaving. In any event, you don't have a legal basis to sue your employer.