Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor
1723468

How long after an employee is written up does the write up

How long after an employee is written up does the write up stay in the persons file? When can it be removed?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
There is no Federal or State rule as to how long an employer can kept their personnel file. The employer is at their own discretion to set up their own rules regarding this. Generally, a rule of thumb is provided that employee personnel records be kept at least 7 years, but again this is not law but just a suggestion. The employer sets the rules on how they will treat their employee personnel files as it is their property.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can a write up be removed after a period of time?
Again upto the employer's discretion on how they wish to handle the write up. There is no period of time.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor