AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.

I was put on suspension from my job which after 11 days it

I was put on suspension from my job which after 11 days it was converted to a termination. Securitas USA now will not pay me any monies I have coming to me. Vacation, PA etc. They also told Indiana unemployment I quit. So I've had no income since July. Waiting on appeal frmo unemployment. I don't even know why I was fired but my interview was along the lines that I bad mouthed the union. I did not! A year ago I was union president over all the security guards in Indiana. I got out of that line of work and took a supervisors jobs. You now know what happen. Hired a lawyer who told me I had a good case. He also said it would be better to pay the fixed rate rather the $350 per hour. So I paid the $5000 and that was the end of it!! NOTHING!! I'm broke and no money. I guess I have no options now I'm just S.O.L.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXXny,

Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. That being said...

I am so sorry this has happened to you and it does certainly seem from your facts that you have been screwed.

First, with regard to your appeal (which is taking a very long time, so make sure to follow up with that and make sure you are not lost in the system), bring in a witness at the hearing (and perhaps an affidavit from him/her prior thereto to be submitted in advance) who heard them suspend you and/or fire you. Ideally, they will have heard the statement about being fired for 'badmouthing' the Union. While being distruptive etc. could be cause for firing - simply and without abuse, criticizing your Union is a matter of free speech in this country and perhaps you can make them squirm with a civil rights action.

With regard to failure to pay wages, please contact the federal Department of Labor - they can be in some hot water if they are guilty of withholding moneys due you. You have nothing to lose by making a stink, in my opinion.

Finally, with regard to your lawyer, if he took you retainer and did nothing, you need to write him, cert. rrr and advice that you seek return of your $5k as he did not fulfill his obligations under the Fee Agreement (be sure to read the fee agreement). Demand he return it in 5 business days or else you will have no choice but to seek legal remedies. After 5 days, file a complaint here, with the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission. His actions are dispicable - you can also file suit against him, in small claims.

Lastly, please know that even though your UI claim is still pending in the appeals stage, you are free to seek other work, and being broke, I would so so right away. If trucking jobs are scant, look for something else to hold you over until you find the job you are looking for.

Hope this helps to clarify. Let me know if it needs additional clarification!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger and can not create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. If your question was in fact answered appropriately please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for my work from the company. This will not cost you anything, if you already deposited to the company for this service. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply and I'm happy to help you. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks!

Stephanie Joy

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advise and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.