socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Have my FMLA rights been violated If so,should I go to HR

Customer Question

Have my FMLA rights been violated?If so,should I go to HR? I am currently on intermitted leave for anemia.I was written up for tardies and no call/no show.I have also been pass up for promotion due to the write ups.The tardies are due mostly to having Dr's office visit before I go into work and they run late.When I first had FMLA I was calling in for my DR appt.I couldn't afford taking the whole day off.I asked my boss is I was able to go to DR. before I come in and if I am tardy is it okay?He said he would check with HR and it was fine.That time and now they dont know what the cause is and my PCP referred me to a Dr. who had me on IV infusions.I was then written up for tardies.My no call/no show was given to me after I left work the day before my doctor call and told me to come get a shot.I told my boss that if I was able do during lunch can I come back to work?He said okay.It was longer,and I went home after(Tired).Written up even though I said it is FMLA.Now I need Dr note each time
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

If you provided notice to your employer of your intent to use your FMLA leave and your employer did not require a physician's certification prior to, or within 15 days after your first taking leave after providing notice, then any retaliation is unlawful and you have a case against the employer.

Your complaint is to the U.S. Dept. of Labor (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm). You may want to contact a local employee's rights attorney who can help you draft the complaint.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am new to the FMLA laws, please tell me in detail what physician's certification means? Is that the same thing as re-certification or is it the same as a doctor's note each time I go in? When you say notice, I try to schedule my appointment two hour before my start time and I don't tell my employer becasue I figure that it is not going to interfere with my work schedule. I start at 12:00pm and I schedule my doctor's appt around 10:00 and most time no later than 10:30 I ask how long it's going take when I make my appt to leave an open window for 45 min to get to work even though it is only 15 minutes away. Most appt are 15-30min and for some reason they alway run late or need me to get labs which then makes me tardy which I do call and notify them. So when you say notice is there a certain about of time that I should be notifing them. And if what I am doing is wrong please let me know. Please let me know and I will get to an attorney in my area.