Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

Claims on Unemployment Benefits - Overpayment Pay back issues

Customer Question

Claims on Unemployment Benefits - Overpayment Pay back issues and denied of unemployment benefits
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 years ago.
what is your question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Received an overpayment notice in very detail - Total Amount Due + Overpayment Amount + Penalty Amount and it requires for me to appeal in 20 days. My extension claim for unemployment for the period of 9/08 -9/09 was denied. I had been unemployed for more than a year now. I had posted my resume everywhere still haven't receive no offers. I am unmarried woman with no health insurance, dental nor vision insurance and need desperately for help. I have no means to pay this debt and if you can help me make a letter of appeal to EDD to forgive this assessed overpayment money. I need a cataract surgery and thyroid surgery and everything is all on hold because I don't have no insurance at all and this issue of overpayment issue is a big burden on my part and have no means to pay it back. The notice was so harsh -quote " You are liable to repay this overpayment. Failure to do so may result in legal action". Please help!

You should retain local counsel to draft the letter or seek pro bono assignment from the local bar association or the court.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is your opinion if I send the reasons above as part of my appeal? Will they accept it and approve my request?

You can and you should. it may reduce or remove the penalty but if there was an overpayment, it should be returned.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I pay them back for overpayment? I don't have any job and they denied me of my extension claims.
If you got an overpayment, and dont have the money, you should offer to enter a payment plan to repay due to your financial situation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So what your saying they won't forgive me for the overpayment and won't accept my appeal for the extension claim?

They wont forgive it but may extend the time if they are convinced you dont have the means to pay it but are acting in good faith to do so. Please accept my answer.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!
You are welcome and good luck