CALawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law

I just got fired for no reason whatsoever. What are my options.

I just got fired for no reason whatsoever. What are my options. I would like to sue but can't afford an attorney.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 7 years ago.
What state is this in?

What type of job?

Did you have an employment contract?

What type of company did you work for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1. North Carlina

2. Security Guard

3. No

4. Gated Community
Expert:  CALawyer replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, in North Carolina, employees are presumed to be employees "at will."

That means that if you don't have an employment contract, you can be terminated for any reason (or even without a reason), so long as you aren't terminated for an illegal reason.
Illegal reasons include racial, sexual, religious, or familial discrimination and reporting the employee to authorities, taking FMLA leave, etc.

The exception to the at-will rule is if there is an employee handbook that specifically says that employment won't be terminated except for a specific reason. If that exists, then you would be able to bring a lawsuit for wrongful termination if they terminated you without the reasons specified.

If there is no contract or employee handbook as I've described then, while it certainly isn't fair to terminate you without reason, the employer has the legal right to do so.

If you are satisfied with my answers, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved.

I will be glad to answer related follow up questions, just post a reply.