Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

Suing a company about discrimination

Customer Question

How much could I sue a company for discrimination?

Already Tried:
Nothing actually! Shortly after i was fired, I got shot twice, so i'm just now trying to go through the process

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.

Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

I need the following information before I can answer your question:

How much you could win will depend on a lot of things. Let's start with the basics:

When were you fired?

On what basis do you believe you were discriminated against?

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
On June 26th, I was fired from my job for being pregnant. I gave my supervisor a heads up that I was pregnant April 21, 2008. My job consisted of cleaning, and being around cleaning chemicals. I proceeded working, doing my daily duties; wiping down finger prints, pulling trash, vaccumming, and dusting. I was only 3 weeks pregnant when I found out I was pregnant. I even discussed what my maternity leave was, and how much they would be paying me when i left, and how much time had to take off. There were different job duties that I could of did, without being around chemicals. My supervisor wanted a doctors note stating what i could and could not do. It said that i couldnt be around chemicals that basically caused me headaches, pick up anything larger than 15 to 20 pounds, and that if i would be on my feet along time and my back started hurting to sit down. I proceeded working with no problem. On June 26th I arrived at work and recieved a phone call telling me to turn in my uniforms because i was being terminated for being pregnant. I basically would like to know if i have a good enough case to sue them,

Yes, that's a good case for suing them. You should start by filing discrimination complaints right away, as the first step.

It's hard to say how much you can get. You'd most likely get the amount of wages you would have gotten had you not been fired; and you may get emotional distress and punitive damages (in federal court).

If there are enough employees, you have the right to file a complaint with both the state discrimination agency and the federal one, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

In Oklahoma, you can contact the state agency here: http://www.ok.gov/ohrc/

You can contact the EEOC here: http://www.eeoc.gov/ (there's a ton of great information at this website!)

If you start with the state agency, in most states they'll file a complaint with the EEOC on your behalf at the same time.

There are deadlines for filing, so don't delay!

Complaint investigations are free. They're not always the best, ***** ***** do get a free investigation. If it looks like they are going to file a "no cause" finding, withdraw your complaint before they do. That way, if you go to court, a "no cause" finding can't be used against you.

Most of my employment history and interest deals with discrimination. If you have any other questions, please write back.

I wish you the best,

Jane