Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor

If payday falls on weekend i.e. each 15th of month (falls on

If payday falls on weekend i.e. each 15th of month (falls on Saturday,) what day should employee get paid?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Chicago, Illinois

Already Tried:
When paydays are x2 per month i.e. 15th & 30th or 31st and the above date falls on Saturday, can employer not pay you until the following Monday? For example, the 15th of November is on a Saturday, the company just informed staff we would not be paid until Monday, November 17, 2008. Is this legal?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
According to the Illinois statute [see below] the employer has 13 days to pay wages after they have been earned. So paying on the next business day following a holiday or weekend is not illegal according to the state law.

(820 ILCS 115/4) (from Ch. 48, par. 39m-4)
Sec. 4. All wages earned by any employee during a semi-monthly or bi-weekly pay period shall be paid to such employee not later than 13 days after the end of the pay period in which such wages were earned. All wages earned by any employee during a weekly pay period shall be paid not later than 7 days after the end of the weekly pay period in which the wages were earned. All wages paid on a daily basis shall be paid insofar as possible on the same day as the wages were earned, or not later in any event than 24 hours after the day on which the wages were earned. Wages of executive, administrative and professional employees, as defined in the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, may be paid on or before 21 calendar days after the period during which they are earned.
The terms of this Section shall not apply, if there exists a valid collective bargaining agreement which provides for a different date or for different arrangements for the payment of wages.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.