Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I think Im being singled out and treated unfairly at work...Ive

I think Im being singled out and treated unfairly at work...I've been accused of doing things that I didnt do and have had accusatoty comments made on my monthly evaluation that were false. Management has discussed these issues with me and we came to a conclusion but management failed to kep their word and is now taking action against me. What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 years ago.
what action is being taken against you? what is motivating their conduct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Everything started in december of last year when I requested a leave of absence to deal with personal matters. my girlfriend passed away in august and a close friend passed away 2 weeks later. In September I was advised that my oldest brother was terminally ill. My performance on the job declined and I was considering quitting my job. I requwsted 6 month leave of absence but was only granted 3 months...I had to decide whether to return to work or resign in March...I reluctantly chose to return to work..my performance continued to be below standard and management began taking action against me and demanding that I improve my performance.

I think that this is heading in the wrong direction. Since they acknowledged my problems by allowing me to take 3 months off they shoulkd continue to help me and not punish me.

I am very sorry to hear of the hard time you have had.
The employer has a lot of discretion in how it treats employees. It cant treat you badly but its not illegal.

If it is discriminating by race/gender/age, that would be illegal. also, if its not following employee policy as to you, you would have a claim.   But picking at you especially after poor performance is not illegal I am afraid.

www.eeoc.gov offers a nice discussion of the various illegal work place conduct you could pursue if you are subjected to that treatment and I would recommend you look at it as well
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But what if that poor performance is attributed to dealing with a tough time emotionally while dealing with situations in which the employer contributes to the stress by falsely accusing you? And not taking a course of action that could better assist you rather than watching a situation get bad and allowing it to get worse and then using it against you..I just think that management could have taken a diffetent course of action to keep things from getting to this point...
I am afraid while an employer should accomodate you it is not legally required to here