LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced employment law.

Can my employer cancel my health insurance without notice.

Customer Question

Can my employer cancel my health insurance without notice. I pay part of the cost.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Generally, your employer should not cancel your health insurance without notice. You should be given notice of canceled health insurance so you have the chance to procure another policy. Additionally, your employer should not single you out by canceling only your insurance, absent special circumstances. Given the fact that you have contributed to the premium, if you have paid your premium for a period for which you do not have insurance, you may be entitled to a refund.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You say "generally" they should not canel without notice but is there any law that states they have to give notice or do we, all employees have any recourse?
Expert:  LawGirl replied 8 years ago.

Did your employer explain why the cancellation occurred? How many employees were affected by the cancellation?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They said for financial reasons and there are about 15 employees. Because of the expense. They used to pay 100% then they changed it and the employees started paying part of it and now today they told us they have cancelled the health insurance due to the expense.
Expert:  LawGirl replied 8 years ago.

Your employer is under no obligation to provide you with health insurance; however, now that they have started, they have a duty to alert you to the fact that they are discontinuing coverage. Under ERISA law, they may have an obligation to offer you COBRA to allow each worker to pay for his or her own coverage in the interim while you are looking for other coverage.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  LawGirl replied 8 years ago.

No problem.

Best of luck to you!