Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

how are you able to protect yourself from being fired when

how are you able to protect yourself from being fired when your boss is harrassing you and creating an hostile work enviornment ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The terms "harrassing" and "creating an hostile work environment" are legal terms with specific connotations based upon discrimination. If the harassment and hostile environment are based upon a discriminatory reason, such as your age/race/sex/disability, then you have a cause of action and must file a complaint with the state commission on human/civil rights and/or the EEOC to begin. Unfortunately, if there is no evidence that the behavior is discrimination based (age/race/sex/disability) then you really do not have much of a cause of action since the US Supreme Court has stated that harassment/ hostile enviornment laws were not meant to create a code of civility in the workplace (Oncale v. Sundowner Industries). Therefore, simple bad behavior by a supervisor is not generally actionable if it is not based upon one of the discriminatory causes, unless the behavior is so severe to a REASONABLE PERSON (not you, but a reasonable person in general) that it causes actual physical symptoms and then you may have a case for infliction of emotional distress.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.