legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for 10 years

I am a waitress in the state of Pennsylvania. Our hourly wage

I am a waitress in the state of Pennsylvania. Our hourly wage is $2.83/ hr because we make tips. Recently business has been extremely slow, and to prevent us from sitting around doing nothing, my manager comes with a list of thing that need to be done around the restaurant. This list includes heavy cleaning, detailing, climbing latters to change light bulbs, etc. It is hard for me to believe that it is legal for her to ask this of us when we are paid so little and mind you, this is a night where I only made $7 in tips because business what so slow. The duties she makes us do seem like janitorial or maitenence, which someone would be paid around $10/hr to do. I think this is comparible to slave labor. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
Tipped Employees: An employer may pay a minimum of $2.83 per hour to an employee who makes $30.00 per month in tips. The employer must make up the difference if the tips and $2.83 do not meet the regular Pennsylvania minimum wage.
But there is no requirement that you can not be asked to other types of work and still be paid on the tipped employee hourly wage.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You wrote $30.00 per month....did you mean $30.00 per day?
No, the law is $30 per month.