Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

I am a retired prison warden which worked for a private prison

I am a retired prison warden which worked for a private prison company for 17 years. I left the company in good standing. I applied about 18 months ago to another private prison company for employment and my initial conversation was met with great interest because of my experience. After a couple of conversations with a top executive of the company, I was not contacted again despite my attempts and phone calls to the company. Recently, I applyed to another private prison company of which I knew some of the 'wardens' employed there, and again my initial conversations were received with interest. After a couple of days, I was to receive a phone call from a top executive, and again, I was never contacted. My follow up phone calls were not returned. Both companys I applied with have a close relationship with my former employer. I suspect, I did not receive a favorable recommendation even though I retired with no problems with that company. Do I have any 'rights' in this situation?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
Your former employer is not required to provide positive reference. If they provide negative false comments, you would have a claim for slander. The difficulty is proving it and I do not suggest bringing a case on mere speculation. remember its also a rough market with many hiring freezes.