socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

How long does an employer need to keep a position open for

Customer Question

How long does an employer need to keep a position open for an employee on disability in new Jersey? I need to know this for both short-term and long-term disability.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

If your employer employs at least 50 persons within 75 miles of the employee's location and the employee has worked at least 1250 hours during the past 12 months, then if the employee requests time off under the Federal Family Medical Leave Act, then the employer must hold the employee's job for at least 12 weeks (with a few exceptions).

If the employee's disability is from a workers' compensation injury, then an employer cannot terminate the employee for filing the WC claim. However, the employer can terminate the employee for being unable to work, after a temporary injury, if the employee's injury is such that he/she can no longer perform the "essential functiopns" of his/her job, or if continuing to employ the employee would cause the employer an "undue burden." Otherwise, the employer must provide the employee with "reasonable accomodations" for the continuing disability.

Terminations due to workers' compensation injuries are reported directly to the NJ Workers' Compensation Board (

Terminations due to failure to provide reasonable accomodations are reported to the EEOC (

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.