Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor
1723468

What break times are required during an 8 hour work day, 10

What break times are required during an 8 hour work day, 10 hour work day, and a 12 hour work day? Including lunch times.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
There is no federal or Texas law on what is the required beak times. In fact break time is not mandatory in TX, it is at the discretion of the employer to decide whether to provide break time or not. However if the employer has agreed to provide such break times, then according to the Fair Labor Standards, the employer must pay for breaks of 20 minutes or less. There is no requirement to pay for lunch time, which is defined as 30 minutes or more.

This is addressed by the Texas Department of labor which you can review further in their frequently asked questions here.

Fair labor standards can be accessed here.

Fair labor standard only kick in if the employer has elected to give breaks.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.