Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Is there a statute of limitations on a noncompete agreement

Customer Question

Is there a statute of limitations on a noncompete agreement I signed back in 1997 in California? I just left this company to start my own competing business and they are threatening an injunction.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
There is no statute of limitations on the agreement because it does not actually kick in until you leave the company. If you start your own competing company, then they have the right to sue you and obtain the injunction.

However, CA does not really like non-competes in general, so it would be likely that they would not uphold it if you were not a high level employee in the company and if you went to work for another company in another city. But since you are starting a competing business, you are likely to have a problem, but you can fight them and then see what the courts say by arguing they are restricting your ability to earn a living.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Can a company barr me from working in general for a competitor, if the competitor has their own clients I would be working with?

Chances are that the CA courts would not uphold the agreement in that case. Like I said, the CA courts do not really like these agreements and if you are working in general for a competitor who has its own customers and they are not customers of your previous employer, you have a good chance of having the agreement tossed out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But my new employer is in Texas and I work in North Carolina. Wouldnt the document signed in California be applicable to the state I am now working in?
It is a good possibility that the CA courts will not enforce only if you are not competing for the old employer's customers in the new area.