LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced employment law.

What do I do if my boss is discriminating against me

My boss has been threatening me with my job on a weekly basis, cutting my hours from 36 per week to 24 per week without my consent, has required that I get more documentation for a 3 day medical leave of absence then she has required from any other employee and refuses to sign any of my time-off requests. She does these things because I don''t have an interest in her personal life. Is this considered discrimination? What can I do about it?

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, absent a contract with your employer, you are an at-will employer, which means you can have your hours cut for any reason that is not illegal or against public policy. Now the discrimination that is against public is discrimination based upon your membership in a protected class. So this would considered discrimination if she was discrimination against you because of your age, sex, gender, race, religion, disability, etc. The fact that she has a personal problem with you would not be considered a reason to sue for discrimination. Therefore there may not be anything you can do other than trying to handle the situation through your HR department. I am sorry.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!