Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Can an hourly employees pay check be held by the ...

Can an hourly employee''s pay check be held by the employer as a penalty/punishment to the employee for insubordination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) an employee must be paid for all hours worked. An employer cannot hold your check for disciplinary reasons and failure of an employer to pay wages when they are due is grounds for a complaint to the state department of labor.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.