Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Can an employer work someone with a ITIN number issued ...

Customer Question

Can an employer work someone with a ITIN number issued from the IRS even though they do not have a social security number and issue them a 1099 at year end. The Form states it is to be used for income tax purposes by the individual.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Yes they can work someone with an ITIN number. The IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA). ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

As long as the employer is complying with the I-9 reporting requirements and the individuals are not illegal aliens.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: What other documents would you recommend in addition to the ITIN number and driver license for the I-9 verification?

Thank you for your assistance!
The only documents acceptable are those listed on the I-9 form under A, B, C. You must comply with the I-9 requirements when requesting documents and must take reasonable efforts to ensure the documents are genuine.