Anne_C
Anne_C, Lawyer
Experience:  15 Years Litigation Experience
7775950

Can you sue your employer if you are being treated ...

Can you sue your employer if you are being treated unfairly, after you have approached them about it and nothing has been done? Would you have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear New Jersey:

• How are you being treated unfairly?
  • Are you in a Union?
  • Do you have an employment manual that address the situation you are in? If so, what does it say?
  • Do you have an employment policy that address the situation you are in? If so, what does it say?
  • Do you have an employment contract?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How are you being treated unfairly?

I have been there 5 summers, they ar ehiring from outside and overlooking those with experience. the new boss is showing favortism towrds her friends and would rather have nopthing to do with those who have experience

Are you in a Union?

No

Do you have an employment manual that address the situation you are in? If so, what does it say?

Not to my knowledge

Do you have an employment policy that address the situation you are in? If so, what does it say?

Not to my knowledge

Do you have an employment contract?

I think so, it is only a summer job
Expert:  Anne_C replied 8 years ago.

Dear New Jersey:

It is against the law for an employer to treat an employee differently because they are in a protected class - one based on race, religion, national origin, sex, and so on.

However, as unfair as it seems, unless their is a written policy, contract, or manual in place that says differently, there are no federal or state laws that says that an employer has to give preference to someone with experience. There are also no federal or state laws that say that an employer cannot show favoritism to friends.

I am sorry I don't have better news for you.