Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor
1723468

In California how many hours is considered part time

In California how many hours is considered part time? Regarding health insurance and vacation pay, can you legally not give part-time employees those benefits.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Part-time employment is either 20 hours a week or employment for a period of 6 months or no more than 1000 hours of service in a 12-month period.

There is no California or Federal law which requires an employer to provide health insurance, vacation pay or other benefits to any employees and the employer can restrict such benefits to full-time employees.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: I am sorry I just e-mailed for further explanation.

I asked if the employee works 30 hours per week can an employer elect to give health benefits and vacation only to a full time 40 hour per week employee?
Yes. As stated by law both Federal and State do not have laws which require an employer to give any of these benefits. Which means that in California the employer decides what requirements need to be met in order to qualify for these benefits. Again, there is no mandatory law for an employer to give these benefits in the first place, it is discretionary upon the employer, so the employer is given the right to decide the requirements in giving these benefits.

Hope this makes sense.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor