Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

Can an employer ask for your health history Our employer ...

Can an employer ask for your health history??? Our employer said it to get quotes on group health insurance. However the questions give away information that shoud be considered protected health information to our HR department. Is this right???
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am looking forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

If it were me, I wouldn't provide it to the employer. I'd consider providing it directly to the potential insurance company but only if there was a guarantee it would not get into the hands of the employer. It's not the employer's business.

You may want to forward this webpage to your employer: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

Is there anything else with which I can help you? If not, please be so kind as to click "accept." Otherwise, please write again.

Jane