Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I just got a call they said microasoft and some one has

Customer Question

I just got a call they said microasoft and some one has hacked my computer they wanted me to open up my computer to them
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: inspieron 530s computer
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: web browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** call was a scam attempt. Did you let anyone connect to your computer.

Please reply in the area immediately below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

This is 100% a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never cold call you for any reason.
This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.

Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the Windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.

Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call telling you there is a problem with your computer. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls, you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you