Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Microsoft keeps locking my email account down every time I

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Microsoft keeps locking my email account down every time I travel. Why is this? It is very annoying!
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: Live.com, but the the email comes from Microsoft Account Team
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: On both my iPad and iPhone
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: They ask me to type in the last 4 digits of my cell number, here is the problem, I have neglected to update my profile and the cell number they are texting the security code to is the wrong one.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I update my account profile?
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

If you registered an e-mail account in one country and you usually access it only there, but you then attempt to access it from another country, your e-mail account will be temporary blocked since the e-mail security system thinks someone else is trying to access your account. To confirm it is you (the owner of the account), you need to verify it by receiving a verification code to the associated phone number or e-mail address. Once you have done that, you will be able to fully access your e-mail account.

Are you able to do that?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Miro, the cell phone number on my account profile is old, so I cannot recieve the security code, how do I update my account profile?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Connecting to my unit will not help, can you help me or not?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

I am here.

Usually, you can update the account profile only when you can access the account; however, I can check your account to see if there is any other verification option you can use. Please type your e-mail address so that I can check it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

Thanks! I checked it.

Your account has only one quick verification option you can use - a phone number ending in 22. If that is your old phone number and cannot receive text messages there any more, you can click on "I don't have any of these" option and verify the account ownership by answering some questions about the account; however, that verification process may take up to 2 days.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They don't give me the option you refer to, just send code or I have a code
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

In that case, you may need to request password ***** so that you can select that option. To confirm, are you currently accessing your account from another country, or you are at home?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,