Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

My gmail is stuck in "open." I cannot close it. I have tried

Customer Question

My gmail is stuck in "open." I cannot close it. I have tried with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, and it simply won't shut. I can receive and send emails, at least up to now. But I am always security conscious and always close out gmail when I've finished with a session, and now it's stuck open in two browsers.
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: It just started a few minutes ago.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Through a web browser. And as I already wrote you, I have tried two browsers on my PC - Chrome and Internet Explorer - and my gmail is stuck "open" in both of them.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't a clue how to troubleshoot. I am 76 years old, and do only routine things.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything else.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

What you need to do is sign out, to do this, click on your initial in the top right circle in Gmail then click on Sign out

Once done, it will close it off for you

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been using gmail for several years. I KNOW how to sign out. It DOESN'T WORK this morning. It simply stays open.Liz Massey
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thank you, I'm not going to get caught up in infinite chain of increasing charges to my visa account. I'll try my personal computer guru.Liz Massey
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there Liz,

Sorry it was not intended to indicate you do not know what you are doing.... there was nothing noted about signing out and this is the most common reason for this...

Please do the following in Internet Explorer

Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options

Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.

Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset

Then restart the computer and tell me if it allows you to sign out in Internet Explorer please