Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

My new wife forgot her gmail password and has changed her

Customer Question

my new wife forgot her gmail password ***** has changed her cell number. We've tried all the ways to reset password ***** your system won't let us. Help!
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: about a month
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: pc
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried to create another gmail account and have you send us a code there to verify her ownership. But it comes back and says it can't verify ownership.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am the husband and wife is asleep. Will you work with me?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

How long ago did you change the cell phone number?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 6 months
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

ok, the easiest s using this to reset it, usually the number should have been re-allocated to someone by now.

Can you call the number, explain the situation to the person about not updating your detailed and then go to the reset procedure and have them tell you the code when they received it.

This would allow you to reset the password.

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can we get Gmail to update the phone # for the account? Is there a way to talk to an actual person at Gmail help?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

You can only update it once you have signed in, else there would be no point to the security as anyone could just change the phone number to something else and reset it.

But did you read through my last message I sent to you?

And I am an actual person...... so not sure worry what you meant with that comment?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The wife is napping. Ill try it when she wakes up. Thanks. What if the number has not been reassigned?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

If the number has not been assigned then Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. Gmail being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Google states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year Google has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not Gmail, their policies, or the situation itself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Ugghh!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

you're welcome

I am sorry it is not easier, but it is security and it has to be tough in gmail to protect your account, else the whole security model would fail.

The key is to always keep your details up to date.

If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you