James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Tried to use my email to open word account and it failed to

Customer Question

tried to use my email to open word account and it failed to tried to reset and not working
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: yahoo
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: set up word on my wife new Mac and used my email instead of hers and now we have issues that need be resolved so she can use it and have access instead of me
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  GeekGal replied 14 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. We have a Microsoft Office 365 subscription that is in my husband's name and email address. It's in his name because as an employee at the University he was able to get the subscription at a discount. However, I am the one who primarily uses it. I don't seem to any issues doing it that way. Can you tell me more please about the problems that you are having so I can determine how to best help?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
First of all my husband and I were unaware that there is a monthly charge for work when we installed it. Is this the case and what are the charges?
Secondly, he set up the word or downloaded it onto my new MAC and used his e-mail address and put in a password. When I attempted to go into word today it showed his email address,***@******.*** and asked for a password. He recalled the password ***** 230 Lookout, but it would not accept it.
Then we attempted a new password ***** somehow it threw us to you for problems and would not let us in.This account needs to be accessible to me. He won't be using my computer. Its personal to me.
Help
Expert:  GeekGal replied 14 days ago.

I am an independent computer consultant for Justanswer. I do not not work for Microsoft so I am not able to see your account and do not know exactly what service you have signed up for. You may want to consider cancelling the service under your husband's name and signing up for it again under your name. That way you will know exactly what you are signing up for and what it will cost.

In order to cancel or manage his account, you will need to reset the password ***** his account. Please do the following to reset his password:

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

Here are some suggestions to help you get back into your account as quickly as possible.

First, try the easiest thing: if you remember your password ***** it isn’t working, make sure that Caps Lock is turned off and that your email address is spelled correctly.

Reset your password

If you can't remember your password, follow these steps to get into your account.

1. Go to the Reset your password page by clicking on this link: https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx
  2. Choose the reason you need your password ***** then click Next.
  3. Enter the email address you used when you made your Microsoft account. This could be any email address, or an email ending in a Microsoft domain like hotmail.com or outlook.com.
  4. Enter the characters you see on the screen (this lets us know you’re not a robot), then click Next.
  5. If you've added security info to your account, we'll send a one-time code to the alternate phone number or email address you gave us. After you enter that code on the next screen, you'll be able to make a new password.

When you have regained access to your his Microsoft account, you can use these instructions to cancel his Microsoft Office subscription(s).

1. Sign in to https://account.microsoft.com/account/manage-my-account with your husband's email address and the password ***** you just reset.
  2. Find the subscription you want to stop renewing, then select Turn off auto-renew. You will be able to continue using it until the subcription that you have already paid for expires
  3. Select Confirm cancellation.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 14 days ago.

Please try that and let me know the results. When you have successfully been able to cancel the existing subscription, let me know and I will walk you through options for setting one up using your own email address.