Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I now have a mystery account named weather complete with

Customer Question

I now have a mystery account named weather complete with strange name, email address, password ***** I am getting all kinds of junk mail. I want to remove this but when I go to the account to delete it, there is no delete button.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: Not sure I understand. The SMPT is smtp.email.minibox.email
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: This account appears only on my phone. It does not appear on my IPad
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Since I can't figure out how to delete, I have deactivated it by turning off mail and notes as well as deleted the password. It is now listed as "inactive"
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.
Category: Email
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 5 months ago.

If you are unhappy with an account that some app installed for you, simply delete it. No harm done.

Welcome to the world of smartphones. This is why I, an electrical engineer, computer scientist, and former professor, still use a dumb phone--plus a tower hard-wired to a physical Ethernet cable, which actually works.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The problem is that unlike my usual accounts which have a delete button, this one does not. I simply cannot find a way to delete it. How do I do this? That is my question.

Without knowing exactly what utility or app you're using, it's hard to say . . .

If an account can be created, it can be deleted. You can find documentation online for most apps--as well as for basic smartphone utilities--without searching too hard.

FYI, if it's "inactive," it doesn't sound like deletion is terribly important, but, in fact, cosmetic!