flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

I am considering downloading Thunderbird to my imac & pc.

Customer Question

I am considering downloading Thunderbird to my imac & pc. Google will not allow me to use Outlook or AppleMail, citing security issues. My non-geek partner needs to be able to launch email from a desktop address book for all 4 of our gmail accounts, so we're not duplicating comntacts all over the place. Can Thunderbird help with this?
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: Months. I've tried allowing less secure apps, but that doesn't work, and creeps me out anyway.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Access to all through desktop browser, usually Firefox. Also by Android phone.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: What little is suggested by google, i.e., turn on use less secure apps. I've tried both pop & imap and just can't connect
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess that's it. I would like to find out how I can get an email program with an address book that can launch, send & receive my google emails that serves as main contact list that's shareable between my gmail accounts. Thunderbird seems to be able to do this, but I can't be sure. I got some advice from http://organicwebs.com/au/faq/44-faqs/email-calendar-contact-...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

I am stuck on where google says you can't use outlook ?

i use outlook for gmail all the time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would I lie to you?
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

No but you might misunderstand something like googles security procedures which require you to set gmail to allow it to be used by pop or imap in another program

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I've tried that multiple time w apple mail & outlook. Sent mail doesn't send & no mail comes in
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

it just took me about 5 seconds to add a gmail account to outlook

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

there is something set wrong in your gmail account and thunderbird will have the same problem

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

i just added a gmail account to apple mail for somebody yesterday and it had no problems

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It gets hung up on the stmp. Keeps asking for password ***** doesn't connect. I've trying to solve this for months
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

set it for imap it should be using the same password ***** the incoming

you might have the wrong port or ssl settings. but it will work better under imap than pop

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

these are the proper settings

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 month ago.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2033842/make-mail-and-gmail-play-nice.html