Dustin, Email Specialist
Experience:  Specializing in Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Mac Mail, Windows Live mail, Incredimail and a few others! Also Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a gmail account and occasionally get sign in failed

Customer Question

I have a gmail account and occasionally get sign in failed messages WHEN I DID NOT ATTEMPT TO SIGN IN. Does this means someone is trying to hack my account? Or is there another explanation. What is the best handling? Can I change my user name without losing my account? And thus block this? Please advise.
Category: Email
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Also, do you use a phone to access your gmail account, if so i need to know the name brand and model of the phone, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Windiws 10, not a Mac. Usually use computer to acess gmail. My Samsung can also access
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Understood.

The quickest and most efficient way in which I can help you figure out exactly whats happening, is through a screen sharing session. That way I can help you directly on screen.

Since this issue is very straightforward, I will reduce the cost substantially and send that offer to you now.

If you would prefer written support alone, do not accept the offer and reply " Written support please"

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Look. I asked a simple question. Am getting pre-planned responses that do not have anything to do with my question. The site is just answer, not just hire. If you look at my specific question and respond to it that would be helpful. I am not going to screenshare before you even review my question and answer it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

I did look at your specific question, and I specifically responded to it.

I understand the ins and outs of googles device tracking, security measures, apis, account security, device history, etc.

On one hand we could just change your password ***** security info on google, and could call it a day.

But, what we dont know until we DIG into your google account settings is if at some point your account was actually accessed.. If it was, that account can be used to spread files and programs to your devices, and if you have google set to save passwords, all yoru passwords could be at risk. I am not an alarmist, this could be a simple error.

I offered you a screen share at a reduced cost because this will make it easier and less time consuming for both of us.

If you prefer written support, thats fine too.

Just let me know how you want to get started.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you and I appreciate this. I have no evidence of someone actually accessing my accounts. And I do not have google set to accept passwords. I just get "attempted log in failed messages"It is being reported that someone is failing to sign in on my account. I actually thought I might be able to change my User name.I appreciate screen share as an option, but then again, I do not know you, and I have been advised against inviting others into my computer on screen share.So if you could tell me a simple way to guard my computer, like change your user name and password, or whatever great. If you feel that is insufficient, please give me a a recommendation as to what should be done. Let us do it in writing for now. Thank you. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Lets try this.. Use a browser, sign into your gmail account in that browser. Then, click this link first

https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity?pli=1

Are all devices in your normal city?

If they are.. Then simply run through all the steps on this security checkup, https://security.google.com/settings/security/secureaccount?continue=https%3A%2F%2Fmyaccount.google.com%2F

And call it a day..

However, if on the first link you see devices that are from outside your city, or outside your immediate area... Then we need to consider some stronger security actions.. So please dont consider this a full answer.. Whether or not we go through more will depend on that first link, and what it shows.. So keep me posted!

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I showed no indication of incorrect access. I do have a concern as "sign in failed" continues. I changed my password ***** recently and it is strong.But I was getting "sign in failed" when I was not signing in.Is there someway I can be doing that myself, maybe with a CRM or some such.Or does this means someone is out there trying to guess my password? If the latter is there any recommended defense? Can I somehow change my user name or something. I do want to change gmail address so I do not get my mail. but sign in failed messages make me nervous!
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

You cannot change the username.. What you can do is delete the gmail account, without deleting the google account ( for google drive, registered phones, google photos, youtube history, calendar, etc )

Deleting your gmail and then adding a new gmail account to your google account would defeat the login attempts..

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/61177?hl=en

With that being said, Some possible causes of this could be, if you have an email client such as Mac Mail, Thunderbird, OUtlook 2013, windows live mail, or windows mail.. And if those clients are running and have your gmail attached to them but have the incorrect or old password, they could be trying to periodically sign in to check your mail, and failing//

Of course, there isnt a way to rule out that someone else is trying to guess your password..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think you are on to the actual problem here. I went to a new area of town, and suddenly my phone, which I believe was synched to my gmail account starts showing login failed to my gmail account. Maybe it was synched to an old gmail password ***** something. How would I fix this?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

What model of Samsung phone is it that you have specifically?

And my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.. Today was a very long, unwanted day off.

Most likely on your phone, all we would need to do is go t o you settings, accounts , and then remove your google / gmail account.

And then once removed, restart the phone and then add the account again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
SAMSUNG GALAXY J3 6.No problem on delay. Appreciate your help.Under settings, I went to account preference, which allows me to delete google services, like Gmail from my account. This sounds scary to me. Gmail is vital and I have lot of gmail in my archives which I need.Another option-- I can also delete my google account and all data. Does this only effect my phone? Or does it affect my gmail account on my computer if I delete it on my phone.?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Ok, to be clear.. you do not want to be inside of googles actual settings, dont delete anything there.

Instead, on the phone itself, go to the h ome screen ( the phones home screen )

Go to settings ( in the phone ) then accounts, and delete google from the phone.