Kevin T
Kevin T, IT Manager
Experience:  IT Manager at Wood Group PSN
94743361

Hola, My company has committed to switching to Outlook

Hola,My company has committed to switching to Outlook Exchange (already happened) and as a Gmail user (i used to have my***@******.*** email forward to Gmail) i am losing my mind with the antiquated search capabilities of Outlook and the user interface.Since my company is not going away from Outlook Exchange, I'm trying to figure out how to get myself and my mobile sales team to be able to use Gmail's interface to send and manage emails, which everything backing up/reflecting accordingly on our company servers. I.E. a bi-directional sync of JUST email. I'm not so concerned with the calendar and other aspects.Can you help?Thank You!
Mateo
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: we switched 1 month ago
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: I used to do so thru gmail in a browser. I've been using IQTell as a back up. But the biggest issue i'm looking to resolve is the poor search ability....
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: trying to get my tech company to send a copy of my incoming and sent emails to***@******.*** to my gmail address so i can at least search
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

It is possible. However I think it would be best If you migrated to Outlook.

Outlook is the standard and If you do not adpot this, futher down the line you will have issues.

How many accounts are we speaking here?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Currently my account. Eventually possibly 10-15 of us on the outside sales team.I appreciate what you are saying, but Outlook is so suboptimal compared to Gmail i don't quite know where to start.Can you please lay out how I would set up a bi-directional sync as I described? thanks

Can you tell me who hosts your email at the moment? and who will be hosting it.

When you say exchange to me it sounds like your comapny will be hosting the email on premisis and before it was on gmail?

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i'd rather not securely connect until i have a better idea of what you are proposing doing and we have a better level of trust established.

This proposal is for consultancy services for 1 hour

Can you tell me who hosts your email at the moment? and who will be hosting it.When you say exchange to me it sounds like your comapny will be hosting the email on premisis and before it was on gmail?Is this correct?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
our email used to be hosted locally by tektegrity, and now the Outlook Exchange is hosted by microsoft cloud
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i'm totally open to paying for 1 hour consultancy services, but as you can reasonably understand, i would want to know that you have a CLEAR understanding of exactly what I'm wanting to do, as well as whether it is indeed possible to do in a clean and organized way that is a full solution rather than being some bandaid that causes more headaches. Any chance you could be so kind as to let me know so we can move forward? I appreciate it

You need to enable SMTP and IMAP on your exchange infrastrucrue.

Who ever is hosting your email will be able to do that. After this is done to answer your question once set up on gmail add exchange:

1. Click on "Add a mail account you own"
  2. Enter fill out the form. You may need help from your exchange admin for the values you'll need.
    1. If you are going to get your Gmail and Exchange mail in the same place, accept the option to automatically label incoming mail from that account.
    2. Where possible, it is a good idea to use SSL when retrieving mail
    3. Leaving a copy of the message on the Exchange server is a good backup in case your gmail account isn't working properly or you want to go back to using Exchange/Outlook at some point in the future. You need to make sure you follow your company's record retention schedule and you don't allow your inbox to go over it's limit.
  3. Next you will be asked if you want to send mail from this address. Answer yes and click on "Next Step"
  4. Follow the prompts. When it comes to the selection for "Send mail through your SMTP server", select "Send through 's SMTP server". You may need to get the following information from your Exchange admin:
    1. SMTP Server: Port:
    2. Username:
    3. Password:
  5. Click "Add Account"
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cool. I'm on with my tech company now to see where it gets me. Thanks

No problem - please rate me above so I get credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
question...I am STOKED to rate you well, for sure. However, I still need to hear back from my tech company and see whether this actually resolves my question fully. I'd like to make sure this dialogue is still open until I have resolution....

No issue at all :)

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sweetness. It may be a couple hours (or days) until i hear back from them given the holiday. That work?

Yes no problem

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
also, i searched soooo much online and didn't see this solution. do you see any potential issues with setting it up this way? i.e. with sent mails not showing up, or any other issues? also, will folks receive emails from***@******.*** or my gmail, or will it be an 'alias' where some people's spam filters will reject my emails?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
that is what was happening before when i was having my email forwarded to Gmail.

I see many issues.

It does not comply to standards. Everyone should be on the same version of Outlook so it is easier to support.

If you comapny has an applciation everyone uses that speaks to email having half the company on gmail and the other half outlook is madness.

What type of buisness are you in, who manages your IT?