Richard, Email Systems Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Well, I have email going back to 2007 addressed to me at. I

Customer Question

Well, I have email going back to 2007 addressed to me at***@******.***. I left in the spring and on my way out, I download my work email (I was founder and president of the board and c.e.o. to a Thunderbird account, saved on an external hard drive. Now when I open it, it says I need to enter the master password ***** this account--which I don't have and it also complains that it can't reach the server. Yes, because I left and Yes, the company is folding. I archived the email and that worked but now I want to actually open it and save it to its own external hard drive with Thunderbird on it. Spent many hours and can't figure it out.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: womensenews.org
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: the***@******.*** I accessed it through my Mac's Mail but the emails are no longer there since I saved them to the external drive. To be clear, I just want access to the existing email, not ongoing email.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried printing all the emails as pdfs; I tried exporting the emails to another external hard drive; I set my Thunderbird account not to ask me for my password ***** it starts up and I tried select all and save as. I also archived them, but I can not export the archived emails.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really need this email!
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

To remove the master password, please do the following in Thunderbird

Choose Tools -> Error Console, paste the expression:

openDialog("chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul")

and press the Evaluate button.

That will open a dialog asking you if you want to reset your password.

Say yes

With the second problem with the server, click cancel and it should then stop this

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you