Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

Account quit working ... can't pull msgs with outlook today,

Customer Question

account quit working ... can't pull msgs with outlook today
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: about a week (been busy) ... other account still works with pop ... same setup
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: outlook using chrome as default
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: checked login on both accouts from web, using 3 browsers ... all ok
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: appears prob with logging into smtp using pop
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 10 days ago.

Dear Client,

my name is***** and I am a computer expert with 17 years of experience. I am sorry to hear about the problem to access your msn.com email address. However, it is not your fault nor can you currently do anything about it. Microsoft has a major outage for all email domains they own, like msn.com, outlook.com, live.com and hotmail.com. They are working on it since 24 hours already and say that they now have fixed it, but need to deploy the fix across their whole network first, which will take a few more hours. You can find more information here:

https://portal.office.com/servicestatus

I´d recommend that you just stay relaxed and let them do their work, everything should be up and running just fine automatically within a few hours from now. Without you having to do anything.

If you need any more help, please just let me know by replying at the box below, there are no extra costs associated with this, we can chat as long as you wish. I would be very happy if you could rate my work by selecting 3 to 5 stars at the right top and click "Submit", so that I can get honored for my work by JustAnswer.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
just checked getting email with***@******.*** ... using old version of outlook and chrome for browser
just checked getting email with***@******.*** - same setup : unable to login to smtp mail server
both accounts work fine from web login

Thank you, ***** ***** is exactly the issue they are having right now, most users are not able to get any emails via SMTP / POP3 nor IMAP, but the web access via Outlook.com works fine. That is what they say on their site:

Title: Can't access or synchronize Outlook.com email

User Impact: Users may be unable to access or synchronize their Outlook.com accounts while using applications or mobile devices.

More info: While we're focused on remediation, users may be able to access the service by logging in to their Outlook.com accounts with a web browser as an alternative method.

Current status: We've completed the fix and are deploying it throughout the affected environment. While the fix is being deployed, some users may begin to access and synchronize their Outlook.com accounts while using applications or mobile devices.

Start time: Thursday, November 17, 2016, at 12:00 AM UTC

Next update by: Wednesday, November 23, 2016, at 8:30 PM UTC

So all that is left right now for us, is to wait on Microsoft to fix the issue completely (I am affected as well), which should not be to far away from now.

Thank you very much and please reply if you need additional information. Also thanks for a rating between 3 to 5 stars in advance.

Best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

I am sorry, I just noticed I might have confused something in this case, you are using GMAIL.COM, not OUTLOOK.com nor HOTMAIL.COM, is that correct?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
right, do you have experience with the folks supporting gmail.com?

If this is solely related to GMAIL.COM email addresses, then it is indeed a problem with your Outlook, since GMAIL.com is up and running just fine (just verified). What I´d recommend in this case, is that I take a look at your Outlook settings via remote-connection and fix it up for you. Would that be of any help to you?

I am a independent computer expert and do have experience with gmail, it´s settings, Windows and Outlook, so I should be a good fit, if you wanted to ask that?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
company desktop - remote connect not allowed

OK, no worries, if you wish, I will opt out of your question then, since without seeing your Outlook and without being able to analyze what is going with it, I cannot really be of any help to you. Maybe another expert can help you text-based in this case. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I think we need gmail tech support to take a look at the account that doesn't work ... can you get them to do that?

I think this is rather a Outlook related problem to be honest, but let me opt out and open this up for other experts, they might be able to help you instead in this case. I would need to see this "hands on" to see what is wrong. Also, we are all independent computer experts here, no one has access to gmail-technicians and in general, no one is able to contact these directly since Google does not offer any option to do that. However, I can almost guarantee you that this problem is with your Outlook. If I could take a look at your computer remotely, I can surely fix this for you. Please confirm again what you´d like me to do.