Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Email expert with over 5 years experience
50836188

My old iPad (actually my wife's iPad, original) keeps

Customer Question

My old iPad (actually my wife's iPad, original) keeps telling her she cannot access her email account because her password ***** ***** In the Settings mode it is wrong but when I attempt to reset it, it reverts to the original or simply blanks out the password *****
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: It has a similar problem for both Yahoo and me.com. The Yahoo is the most used account and can be accessed through computer but the IPad has the wrong password.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Mostly through the iPad, except now it will not allow it.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried rebooting the system, changing the password ***** rebooting, deleting the account and re-establishing the account, attempting to save the password ***** I can get it to change.
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Email
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

You mentioned deleting the account from the iPad then setting it up again. When you set it up again, it should prompt you for the login information. Does it accept the username and password ***** that screen?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It returns to that page with the user name already present and will not allow me to change that the password ***** ***** blank or has the old password ***** place.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there some way that I can bring about the changed password ***** the iPad?
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like the account was not deleted properly from the iPad then.

Go into Settings then Mail then select the Yahoo account (there might be two screens where you need to select it) then scroll down and press DELETE ACCOUNT.

After that happens, go back into Settings then Mail then accounts (if prompted) then ADD ACCOUNT then add it back.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have already tried that, it re-inserts the old information into the new account.
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

That is not possible -- If you remove the account from your iPad, it will not bring up old information.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have just deleted the account. Now I am going to add an account. It will be the same yahoo account that I just deleted. Now it tells me the Yahoo server is not available. I told it to try again. It tells me this account may not be able to send or receive emails do I want to save it. I say save it. When I go back to the account page and deactivate the yahoo account the password ***** ***** and it tells me a password ***** ***** It does not accept the password. After three try's it finally accepts the password ***** says Yahoo is not available. When I try again it tells me the account may not be able to send or receive email. I tell it to save it goes back to the account and when I return to the password ***** it has re-inserted the old password.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I returned to the account page I did not deactivate the account but rather reactivated the account.
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

Is the iPad connected to Wi-Fi?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It appears to be connected. Although the sign at the top flashes from "no signal" to "signal" randomly.
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

That is likely the issue -- The reason that you see the Yahoo is not available is because you are not connected to Wi-Fi. Also, it is not putting the old password ***** in the box, it is the new password ***** it is not working because it is not connected to Wi-Fi.

Go into Settings then Wi-Fi

Make sure you are connected to your network

Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.