IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Since 4pm yesterday (Sydney time) I can't connect to my

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, since 4pm yesterday (Sydney time) I can't connect to my hotmail account
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Hotmail account?
Customer: since 4pm yesterday SYdney time
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: using thunderbird
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: checking imap and smtp settings, checking passwords
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i can access my mail through outlook in my browser, but thunderbird won't connect and eventually says the server has discinnected
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 17 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What are the settings did you try?
Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?
Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have windows 10, I just checked that the settings (server name, port, user name, password, security) are correct. I use IMAP not POP.Yes, we can do a remote support session if you like.

Thank you. Please accept the remote support offer, then please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=d39d29df-b21b-4137-8657-3c35ac81f1eb
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No, I don't want to pay more. The window said it would be a $5 fully refundable deposit, but I was already charged $59. Will that be refunded?

How about with the small amount as shown for direct remote support? We guarantee our service. Thank you,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Actually I already feel cheated - it's supposed to be a free trial, why did I have to pay $59 anyway?

Sorry, I'll have our customer service contact you.

Summary: I'm sorry; I tried some fixes via remote support, and it's still not working yet even though your email is still working at the hotmail.com website. You did not have more time, so please get back to us whenever you are available to continue. Thank you for your patience,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 17 days ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me if you still require assistance with the e-mail issue?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 17 days ago.

Please type your reply here.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi IT Miro, my problem is still not solved, but I noticed that other people are having the same problem as there is a question logged to microsoft at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-oaddacc/cannot-connect-hotmail-account-to-email-client/51504172-7be7-40fe-9422-4daa4ed2938e?rtAction=1479577045403The problem occurred at the same time for these people as for me - maybe something microsoft has done?Thanks,
Pat.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 16 days ago.

Yes, it is possible the problem is on the Microsoft's end. I will check this further and will get back to you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 16 days ago.

Hello again!

I checked about this problem and you were right - you are not the only one experiencing this problem. Many other people cannot access their Hotmail (Outlook.com) e-mail accounts as well. Some people can only partially access their e-mail account (for example only using the Hotmail web mail interface), while others cannot access their e-mail account in any way.

There is another page describing the same problem on the Microsoft forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/thunderbird-has-suddenly-stopped-working-with/060e4016-c9b0-4d53-a147-d00f500b1a6a

I was able to find two web pages that monitor the Hotmail (Outlook.com) outage and show live updates on the world map. Based on that map, the Hotmail e-mail service is currently experiencing an outage mostly in the United Kingdom and Australia.

See those pages for live updates where you can also read other people's comments:

http://downdetector.com/status/outlook/map/

http://aussieoutages.com/status/outlook/map/

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it, other than wait for the Hotmail support to fix the problem on their end. They are probably upgrading their servers. Hopefully, the outage won't take for much longer.

Regards,

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you IT Miro - at least I can still use Outlook web mail. I will close the call.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 16 days ago.

You're welcome!

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,