James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

Had a company called me advising that my computere was

Customer Question

had a company called me advising that my computere was downloading virsus and that someone had hacked into my compiter. I asked them how did they know this and they told me that my computer was being monitered by them as a agent for windows. I think it was a scam and I had them cleaned up my computer and had to paid. I took out a lifetime guarentee. I am calling my credit card company and asking them to pput the charge on hold.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have a HP with windows 7.
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Through a web browser
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I always use Malware
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The company that call me is Esales Sstems and they represented Windows.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Cody replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 17 days ago.

That was a scam, I would def call your bank/credit card company to dispute the charge.

Did you watch everything they were doing, did you see them installing any software?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I already called my bank where I have my credit card and they are filing a dispute for me. They will investigate for me.
Yes I did watch what was going on and it took about an hour. They installed a cleaner and cleaned out the junk that was on my computer. I tooked out a lifetime warranty which cost me $400.00. I saw a list of all the viruses and warnings which was over 2000. I do not know how they knew the location of my computer and my telephone number.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I thought the $5.00 charge was in good faith and that I was not obligated to pay any additional charge. I am not interested in a 7 day free trial. Please cancel immediatey.
Expert:  Cody replied 17 days ago.

I'm sure they either just call random people, or maybe you were redirected to a malicious web page at some point they was able to obtain contact information.